Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dusting Off Books... and Dreams?

The weather is great for late November here in Ontario - still no snow or freezing temperatures (and I'm not complaining!)














I've decided to take advantage of the day and move a shelf or two of dusty books outdoors to flip their pages and watch the dust fly away...

They always look a lot cleaner after they're done... and I get a chance to look (again) at what I have. (I tend to forget them when they're sitting on the shelf...)

I will probably never re-read some of these books... maybe I should just get rid of them!














Others are old favorites I can't bear to part with...














When I look at the dates on these writers' handbooks, I realize that it was 20 years ago that I rekindled the writing flame in my life. I wondered - at the time - whether I should switch careers and become a journalist, my aspiration in high school...

At that time, I took several writing courses by correspondence and had a few articles published in local newspapers. But my enthusiasm fizzled out with a 60% rejection rate. Writing seemed like a waste of precious free time.

So now - at a different stage of life - with more unstructured time at my disposal, I look at the books I bought 20 years ago to fulfill a dream, and wonder...














Will I ever write - or attempt to write - a blockbuster novel?!

Maybe it's time to try - or to pass the books on to someone who will!

No comments:

Post a Comment