Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Compote

Compote is a dish I associate with my hospitable Polish landlady, Genia Beim, back in my university days. At the time I viewed her stewed fruit concoction as rather bland in taste and appearance.

But a friend recently gave me some pears from a neighbor's tree - and I had bought peaches that were lovely but tasteless. I also had a few apples that had lost their crispness. What to do? Why not cook them up into compote!














The recipe was simple...














I cut up the fruit (peeling only the pears), added enough water to cover the fruit - and set the pot of fruit to simmer.

I wasn't sure how long to let it cook, but I checked on it after about 45 minutes - and the fruit seemed cooked.














I didn't add sugar... And it tasted fine... Full of gentle fruity flavor - and a dash of nostalgia...














In memory I was back in Mrs. Beim's cheery blue and white kitchen...

(I only wish I could have photographed the SMELL of the simmering fruit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment