Monday, November 23, 2009

It's never as easy as it looks...

A few years ago a colleague mentioned that her son found a sun lamp helpful in dealing with SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder - also known as "winter blues."

I should try one sometime, I decided: There is no comparison between the energy I feel on sunny days and the lethargy that takes over in cloudy, rainy weather.

So last year I bought a sun lamp with blue light - but it had technical problems I couldn't resolve - so I returned the lamp. This year I decided to try again - and purchased a different kind of lamp.














I have 30 days to see if it works for me or not. If not, I'll be able to return it - but I'm running into one problem after another just trying to set it up!














It requires a very specific location - the blue light (from the lamp I got last year) could shine on my face from the side. But this lamp requires a specific location - straight in front of the face - 30 centimeters (12 inches) away - at eye level.

It has been hard for me to find a precise location like that. The lamp is too large to fit on my desk without my totally clearing the desk - and that's next to impossible! To further complicate matters, my desk is in an older part of our 50 year-old house - where the power outlets are two-prong... and this lamp requires a three-prong outlet!














So today found me moving furniture to try to set up the lamp in our new family room (which has three-prong outlets) - so that I can try it out for a few days to see if it works - and cheers me up - or simply gives me a headache (which the instructions warn could happen!)

To further complicate the situation, the weather this past week has - for the most part - been warm and sunny. Will we get any grey days before my 30-day trial period is over?! I don't know!

I just know that when I picked up the box a few days ago, getting a sun lamp seemed like a great idea... But today, after all the obstacles I'm encountering, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth all the effort!

Some things in life aren't as easy as they look!

2 comments:

  1. So how did it work out in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only used it that one winter. I thought of using it this winter - but was waiting to feel really "blue" and it didn't happen. I think a person needs to have a really good location for the lamp so as not to sit too close. At times, when I did, I felt it was giving me a headache.

    ReplyDelete