Sunday, December 22, 2019

Unusual Log Cabin Quilt Design

One of the first quilts I ever made was a log cabin quilt... long, thin "log" strips of fabric sewn around a central square "chimney." Traditionally, two sides of each square have darker colored "logs" than the other two lighter colored ones. Like a "log cabin" in the sunlight - two sides are in the light and two are in the shade. These light-dark "log cabin" squares can be placed in interesting patterns to make a lovely quilt.

I was surprised, however, when I saw a totally different kind of "log cabin" on the cover of this book... Modern Log Cabin Quilting by Susan Beal: How were these "log cabin" crosses created?! 

Fortunately our public library had the book and I was able to borrow it... It turns out that each cross is made of four identical log cabin squares... placed in such a way that they form a cross. Really different!


A second log cabin design really intrigued me: This blue and yellow pillow: Yellow "chimney" squares surrounded by strips of blue.

These are two patterns I'd really like to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment