Friday, December 27, 2019

Calcium Supplements

For quite a few years now, I've had "osteopenia" - but since it isn't "osteoporosis" I've tended to ignore it., though I do take calcium supplements.

Just how much calcium should be taken in supplement form?

Not more than 500 mg a day, I was told after my cancer operation a year and a half ago...

500 mg at a time because the body can't absorb more than that, a doctor recently told me. Take up to 500 mg twice a day with food, but not with any other medication.

Then in the brochure she gave me, I read that TUMS is one kind of supplement one can take. It even seems to have more elemental calcium than my supplements: 1000 mg per tablet.

Really?!

I have TUMS on hand because I occasionally use it as an ant-acid...

I see the doctor again in February - after another bone-density test. I have a host of questions to ask her... I'd better write them down...

This is another medical journey I'll need to educate myself in.


No comments:

Post a Comment