Monday, December 9, 2019

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

When we were last at Baker Bob's in Almonte, I noticed he was selling oatmeal sandwich cookies that reminded me of ones my mother used to make: Two flat oatmeal cookies sandwiched together with a paste of dates (and water).

I bought one. It tasted just like the ones I remember...

When I got home, I searched for my mother's recipe.







I found it in  her old Purity Cookbook.















Of course, I halved the recipe - the original calls for 6 cups of rolled oats and 2 cups of flour.

For "melted fat" I used half coconut oil and half olive oil - as I'm trying to eat "vegan" these days. (Everything must be plant-based... That means no butter!) The recipe is "vegan-friendly" - it doesn't call for eggs.

In spite of this, I did find it hard to manage the dough, which was sticky... Perhaps I should have added more flour when rolling it.

I baked about half the dough in flat rounds - then, taking a short cut, added chopped dates to the other half, and baked them as "drop cookies" - in mounds dropped from a spoon. Much easier!







I froze the flat rounds for a later date, when I'll make the date "paste" to "glue" the sandwiches together.

They are a lot more work than drop cookies. I can see why my mother stopped making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment