Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Psychology Book - Circa 1937

A cousin recently contacted me to ask if I wanted some of my mother's teacher-training books.

Clearing out her parents' house, she had found them in her father's bookcase...

They were texts my mother had used in Edmonton Normal School - the one-year program she had attended in 1938-9 to prepare for teaching.











My cousin's father - my mother's older brother - had quit school at the age of 16 in order to get a job. The family was simply too poor at that time to support him as a student. He had wanted to attend college but never did go back to school.  But he loved to read.

Here they are, years later... my mother - age 90 - and her brother - age 95 - in a picture taken almost 10 years ago.

I was vaguely intrigued by the Educational Psychology textbook published in 1937... (What did they know about psychology then...?)

But would I read it? Probably not...

No... Give them away. I replied. I'm trying to get rid of  enough books of my own!

I noticed that the editor of the book was Charles E. Skinner - not the famous B.F. Skinner I studied about.

But I wonder if they were related!


No comments:

Post a Comment