Monday, August 20, 2018

Gardening Reminder: Cover Up!

I don't usually wear shorts when gardening. But I do cover my arms with a long-sleeved shirt - mainly to protect myself from insect bites. (I don't always wear gloves...)

Terry and I were reminded of the necessity of covering ourselves up recently after he crossed over into a neighbor's yard to cut down some tall weeds. Ill health had prevented her from gardening for several years, and her children were kept busy caring for her needs. Her garden was completely neglected.

Terry was wearing shorts and a T-shirt when he went over. Not long afterwards, he showed me itchy red spots on his right leg and arm.

I wonder if this is a rash... he said...








An online search confirmed that his skin sores resembled rashes caused toxic plants like poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac.

They could take one to three weeks to disappear...

It was an itchy reminder that gardeners need to cover themselves completely - to protect from possible contact with biting insects and poison plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment