Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ukulele Update

Playing the ukulele is one of my more recent interests. A free introductory lesson in Hawaii last winter hooked me in! Who'd have known it was so much fun to play?!

In April (back home) I bought an inexpensive ukulele and had a few more classes. I've also learned a bit more from instructional You Tube videos... (There are a lot online.)

I haven't found time to take any more classes, but I do attend a twice-monthly jam session for beginners whenever possible - held in the basement of a downtown pub.

Not sure what my next step will be... but in the meantime, I've bought some music books, a ukulele stand and a neck strap to help hold my uke stable when I'm switching chords...

Is ukulele music the new rock and roll?!! one of my sons wondered when I told him about my latest passion.

He did some research...and discovered that the ukulele has quietly been making a comeback. Ukulele sales aren't currently growing in Canada, but they are holding their own. His article "Is the Ukulele really, truly, honestly here to stay this time?" summarizes his findings.

Is the ukulele a toy or a serious musical instrument? 

I think it's a little of both! That's what makes it so much fun to play! As instruments go, it's not expensive. And it's not that hard to learn. But the sounds it can produce are amazing, especially if you're as skilled as this Ted Talk musician!

(And to think that if I hadn't gone to that free lesson in Hawaii last winter, I probably wouldn't have known any of this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment