Sunday, August 23, 2015

Ordinary Life

Early in my retirement, a friend loaned me a book that introduced me to the life and writing of a Christian monk who lived 1500 years ago, whose "Rule" for monastic living is still followed by many today - including those, like me, who have no connection to any monastery.

Since that first book, entitled Benedict's Way, I have read quite a few books on Benedictine spirituality. I have just started another, entitled No Moment Too Small. It reminds me that I was first attracted to the Benedictine way of life because it is focused on "ordinary" day-to-day living, which is what my life in retirement is.

Norvene Vest writes: The key to Benedictine spirituality life in the word "ordinary"... no moment is too small for nearness to God.... Christian living is daily. Everything in my life matters... 

The rules for getting along with others: When we experience weakness in others, are we disappointed that they have let us down, or do we gladly offer them our strength, knowing that we can depend on theirs in other circumstances? 

Are we sufficiently sensitive to the needs of others that we will pass the bread in response to a mere nod?

How do we care for old clothes and garden tools?

(Benedict's Rule deals with details like these - out of respect for people and for belongings.)

I'm looking forward to reading more. (Sometimes all we need are gentle reminders!)

No comments:

Post a Comment