Friday, May 1, 2015

How to Get Rid of a Nest in the Compost (as Humanely as possible)??

We have several compost heaps in our large yard, and I try to dig them out every fall. But last year, I didn't get around to digging out our biggest one (seen here under the pine trees).

In spring, I told myself...













But now that spring is here, I've noticed first one... and now two... burrow holes at the bottom of the pile. I don't want to encounter an angry animal when digging it out - so I'm wondering how to encourage the animal - squirrel? skunk? ground hog? - to leave, before I start to dig...

A few bricks almost blocking the holes? A hose fed into the holes to make the new nest less desireable?

That will be my project for next week. I'm not looking forward to it! (I like to leave nature alone, whenever possible. And, of course, I don't want to encounter an angry skunk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment