Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hand-Stretched Noodles... in Montreal

While walking through Montreal's "China Town," I noticed a chef hand-pulling noodles in the restaurant window.

In less than five minutes, he took a lump of dough and stretched it, doubled it over and stretched it again and again...











... until it was a thick cord of thin noodles!













Then he cut the circular cord and handed the pile of uncooked noodles to another chef, who tossed them into a pot of boiling water. (Then he started all over again!)

It looked so easy!

Years ago, I bought a pasta making machine (hand cranked)... Fresh pasta tastes so good... But it was a lot of work, and we only used the machine once or twice. Now it's sitting high up in a cupboard shelf, gathering dust.


I don't want to get rid of it, but I never use it. This looks so much easier.

But when I googled "stretched Chinese noodles" and found someone who had learned to make them, I discovered that it's a lot harder than it looks. (The dough has to be kneaded a lot to be very stretchy! Someone even indicated 'all day'... Now that I find hard to believe!)

I may give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment