Thursday, May 8, 2014

Family Quilting Tradition

I had a hard time learning from my mother. (I'm not sure why!) On second thought, it would probably be truer to say: I learned many things from my mother's life and interests, but I always balked at having her assume the role of "teacher."

So - a generation later - it's not surprising that my daughter didn't learn to quilt from me, but from classes at Toronto's Workroom.


She is an avid quilter. Every once in a while, she sends one or two quilts home for me to wash, her small Toronto apartment having no washer and dryer. So I get to enjoy them for a while, as they lie on her bed upstairs, until she takes them back.














As I look at them, I marvel at her perfectionism (a trait she has inherited from Terry, not from me). I enjoy her color preferences, so different from my own.
















Alhough she hasn't set out to "teach" me anything, the interesting mish-mash of fabrics on the back of her quilts inspires me to play around with my quilt backs as well!


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Talent runs in the family. I too learned a lot from my mother but she did not teach me how to sew either. I watched her sew, cook, bake, but when she did not know I was watching. She did not use patterns or many recipes as she went by feel and I too now am able to these things. My mother truly is my inspiration! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember several recipes I learned from watching my mother and her mother - cabbage rolls, potato pancakes. I occasionally make them from memory - but they make such large quantities! My grandmother rarely used a cookbook either.

    ReplyDelete