Monday, May 19, 2014

Aloe Vera As Food?!

I usually take my camera everywhere - in case I happen to see something I'd like to post on my blog.


That's just what happened the other day. I was "only" going to pick up some milk at a nearby supermarket, but when I arrived, the first thing I saw in the produce department was this aloe vera - large leaves reminiscent of plants I encountered in Hawaii.

I've never seen aloe vera in the food section of a Canadian supermarket before! (Or any supermarket, for that matter!)










My own aloe plant is much smaller. It shares a pot with a small palm tree and another fragile plant. I find they do better together, for some reason.

I have the plant in case I want some fresh aloe vera gel to use as a lotion on a burn. I used to break off a piece and squeeze it to get the gel out - then rub it on the sore area. But I haven't used it as medication in years. Mostly it's just another indoor tropical plant I enjoy having around.

When aloe vera gained fame as a natural skin cream in North America in the 1960s and 1970s, my mother went to the health food store and bought some pure gel to rub on her skin.

My father, intrigued by all the health benefits aloe reportedly possessed,  poured himself a tablespoon and swallowed it: If it's that good for the outside of the body, imagine what it will do for my insides, too.

Are you sure you are supposed to eat that stuff? I remember asking. Not everything you rub on your skin is edible. (I have no idea if he continued to take a daily dose!)

I didn't buy any aloe vera at the supermarket, but I was intrigued: Is it used as food? I did a google search and came up with this website with recipes.

Hmmm. Should I begin to think of my little plant as something to add to my salsa? Would it make a difference to my health? (I think I'll read a bit more about it before I try.)

4 comments:

  1. Aloe vera is a micracle plant...we people here in India consume it as juice(the inner Aloevera gel). It has many medicinal values but you will see the benefit slowly when you consume it regularly...we use this gel mix it up with butter milk for getting better taste to consume. try it and spread the message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is indeed a `magical plant`....great benefits to the body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father used to drink a bit of it from time to time... But I'm not sure what kind of aloe vera plant he consumed. There are different varieties. I'm not sure if all - or only some - are edible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mix with some caster oil and put on my hip and neck for Arthritis pain !!

    ReplyDelete