Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Problem With Painting Botanicals

The problem with painting flowers and fruits of the harvest...














 ... is that you have to work quickly - or it's too late! By the time I finished the picture below, one of the leaves on the top right had already drooped!














One day in summer, sketching outdoors, one of our group lamented: My lovely flower keeps dropping petals! I have to keep erasing part of my picture!

My neighbor Mary, who attends botanical art class with me, last week brought a new turnip to replace the one she was working on - which had shriveled up up and shrunk in size.














And, of course, my savoy cabbage has shriveled up too - and is turning brown! The camera comes in handy, as a reference tool. I could use my photo of the cabbage when it was fresh to make corrections to my picture. But there is more immediacy in sketching a real plant. (Time to see if there is anything left to eat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment