Saturday, December 7, 2013

If You Like Grammar...!

I haven't taught English grammar for a while, but occasionally one of my children still sends me an example I could have used in class back in my teaching days. I most recently received this grammar tongue twister...

"All the faith he had had had had absolutely no effect on his life"

Similar examples are hard to make up, but I tried: The friends he had had had had a negative effect on his life.

Yes, both sentences are grammatically correct - though my immigrant students learning English as a second language had a hard time getting their minds around two that's, as in "I wish that that noise would stop!"

The example with four had's would have kept some students going for half an hour - while others would have closed their eyes (and minds) and drifted off after the first five seconds!


No comments:

Post a Comment