Friday, December 27, 2013

Spa Day

Sometime last spring - either on my birthday or Mother's Day - one of my sons presented me with a gift certificate for a Swedish massage at a nearby spa. I was a little hesitant - I had never had a massage before.














But the expiry date was fast approaching - and he reminded me of his gift. That's it! I'll make an appointment!














A few days ago I went.














I felt very pampered as I entered the change room and exchanged my warm winter clothes for a bath robe!


















The whole experience was a luxurious treat! Soft music played in the background as I lay on the massage table between two sheets. Unlike my dentist or hairdresser, the young masseuse didn't try to engage me in conversation. Towards the end of the hour, we did talk a bit. I asked her about her training and why she had chosen this career. (The teacher in me is still interested in details like this!)

All in all, it was a relaxing experience - one I would definitely repeat. A lovely way to spend an afternoon. But my big surprise was that I felt a little stiff the following day! As if I had done a workout! The massage had apparently stretched muscles I don't use much. (Is that why some people get regular massages? For regular stretching "workouts"?!) That would be a luxury indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment