Monday, December 2, 2013

A New Knitting Project: A Knit Afghan

I started to knit an afghan a few days ago. I don't really need another project, as I am working on a quilt and a crocheted afghan... but the colors were very compelling when I saw this yarn on sale. The muted yellow, green and blue reminded me of a sunny beach. (Now that winter is here, I need something to brighten my day!) I also find that the repetitive motion of crocheting sometimes hurts my wrist - and knitting has different hand movements. It's nice to change back and forth.














I made up the pattern myself - not that a variegated yarn needs much of a pattern. It's seventy stitches across, knit on circular US number 11 / 8 mm. needles. The yarn is soft and chunky.














  •  Rows 1-5 are garter stitch. (Knit every row)
  • The next 8 rows are plain knitting (Knit 1 row, purl the next) except for the first and last 7 stitches on each row which are garter stitch (Always knit - never purled - to make a border around the whole afghan, as seen on the left side of the photo below.)
  • After the 8 rows alternating knit 1 row and the next row purl, there are 5 rows of garter stitch all across.
  • Then 8 rows of plain knitting again (Knit 1 row, purl the next, except for the first and last 7 stitches in each row.)
  • Alternate these two sections - 8 rows of knit 1 row, purl the next and 5 rows of garter stitch until the afghan is of a desired length. Then end with the 5 rows of garter stitch and cast off.











 

There it is - my first (published) knitting pattern! Not too difficult... (I wonder if anyone will try it!)

A note about the needles I'm using: I heard that bamboo needles are easier on the hands than metal ones. Personally I haven't noticed much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment