Monday, November 25, 2013

What Happened to My Pottery?!

I have been struggling through my pottery classes -  trying unsuccessfully to make symmetrical "cylinders" such as mugs and bowls.














Don't worry, my pottery instructor has said after every imperfect attempt. It'll look great when it's glazed.














(Yes, but will it be useful for anything practical?!)














Not long ago, we glazed them. They looked pretty nondescript going into the kiln, covered with a powdery glaze.














But what happened next?!














They came out so changed that I didn't recognize them as my pots!














In fact, the symmetrical ones now look less attractive (in my opinion) than the wonky ones!














Lesson learned: Never fear failure. Imperfect pots can be beautiful, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment