Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Importance of Being "Centered"

My pottery instructor is reviewing the basics with me as we attempt to discover why my pots are "wonky" and uneven, to the point that one side sometimes collapses...















You may not be centering your clay properly, he suggests.

Centering? You mean putting it in the center of the wheel?

Yes, that, but also making sure you have wedged [or kneaded] it properly so that it has no lumps. It needs to be perfectly round, with no lumps or air pockets.

Hmmm. I probably haven't been wedging it properly. In fact, I was actually wondering why that step was even necessary! Strange to think that the smallest irregularity or air pocket at the beginning could knock the whole thing off kilter!














So, as I work on learning how to wedge and center clay properly, in order to build a strong, even pot - I find it interesting to encounter a spiritual parallel (in Wisdom Distilled from the Daily):

"Benedictine stability... deals directly with three things: CENTEREDNESS, commitment, and relationships." 

So being "centered" in life affects our stability, too. It's not just for potters and pots!

No comments:

Post a Comment