Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Learning to Glaze

I have reached a new stage in my pottery class... learning to glaze.













Once the pottery has been baked in the kiln for the first time, all the water has been burned out, so it is porous.














Now to dip it into one of the many buckets of liquid glaze. I have chosen a glaze that can be baked at two different temperatures. Some pieces will be baked at cone 5, others at cone 6. Even though they have been dipped in the same glaze, they should end up being different colors.

(The magic of it all!)














Here are some items ready to be taken out of the kiln.

I've learned that glazing - like the other steps in pottery making - is something that should not be done in a hurry! (I needed to rush to an appointment, so I didn't take enough time to do it perfectly. I'll see how it turns out next week - after it has been fired in the kiln!)

There is so much to learn! I have never been a patient person. I usually like to get things done and move on - but pottery making is teaching me to take time to do it right. As I work with clay, I'm discovering that it has characteristics of its own and I have to respect them!

No comments:

Post a Comment