Saturday, November 23, 2013

Squash Soup

My "squash family" portrait was done...













Nothing left to do but make squash soup!


















Terry had recently enjoyed some at the Green Door, a favorite vegetarian restaurant, so I used the recipe from their cook book. It is simple and makes enough to freeze. (I used the two yellow squash in the middle of the picture!) The hardest part is peeling the uncooked squash. Another time, I might microwave it a bit to soften it first.

Here is the recipe:














  • Cook 5 cups of raw cubed winter squash in 8 cups of water, until it is soft. (About half an hour)
  • In a second large pot, chop and fry one onion, a leek and a large carrot in a little olive oil for a few minutes until soft.*
  • Add 2 cloves of garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of ginger. 
  • Then add 2 cups of the soup broth and cook until ready to eat.  (Also about half an hour.)
 
  • Puree the squash and water mixture in a blender. 
  • Then mix both mixtures together.









 Enjoy!













Comments: Terry enjoyed the soup as is. I added several spoons of salsa to my bowl to spice it up a bit. The recipe suggests optionally adding paprika.

*I added a second chopped onion in place of the leek.

No comments:

Post a Comment