Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Appreciating... November!

"November has very few redeeming qualities," the gardening columnist of our local paper writes. "... it is the month where we are trapped in limbo. November heralds winter but is caught between the glory of autumn and the magic of snowflakes."

She isn't alone in decrying the month. "I do very little painting in November," my art instructor confesses to our class as we discuss light and shadows in a painting. "I only paint in natural light. Artificial light is too hard on my eyes. And in November the light is all wrong." 

I - on the other hand - appreciate November!... At least, this November, as days are still sunny and there is no snow!

November 2013 (here in Ottawa) is a little like growing old. It may not seem as great as June or July. Daylight hours are shorter - evening comes around 5 pm - and no new flowers are appearing weekly in my outdoor flower beds. But there is no heat and humidity either!

The secret is to keep active. I try to get out and work in the yard every day... moving rocks and cutting out weeds.

I'm try to remember to walk every day, thankful that no ice has covered the sidewalks and roads. (Once it arrives, that ice traps me indoors!)

My painting and pottery classes keep me busy learning new things!

Our heating bill won't be that bad this month as daytime temperatures hover above freezing.

In fact, I am so busy this November that I haven't had much time to work on the new quilt I have begun - or to read.Those things will have to wait till the snow falls and, since I don't ski or use snow-shoes, I will be spending a lot more time indoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment