Monday, November 4, 2013

Montessori and Me

Years ago I read a biography of Maria Montessori, the Italian pediatrician who worked with intellectually challenged children. She devised tactile ways to help them learn to read and write, such as writing in sand and making letters out of clay. Over the years, many of her methods worked so well that they have become integrated into the way all children in kindergarten and primary school are taught.

One of the Montessori "methods" that fascinated me was keeping a variety of activities around for children to use if they were interested. I tried to do the same at home, subscribing to children's magazines like Owl and Chickadee and leaving puzzles, books and art supplies around the house - in case any of them should feel like using them.














These days, as I sort through things I no longer use, getting rid of books and magazines that I purchased years ago, it occurs to me that I have been doing this for myself as well. I have filled my home with things for me to do - should inspiration strike...














But now the time has come to pare things down! Retirement is flying by and there are many things I no longer expect to do... like write that blockbuster novel!


















But I will still keep quilting fabric, yarn and art supplies around.














(After all, Canadian winters are long. I may be inspired to start a project some snowy day when I can't get out to shop!)

No comments:

Post a Comment