Sunday, August 11, 2013

How Do You Start Your Day?!

The summer before we moved to Ottawa, Terry and I shared an apartment with Holly. We needed a place to live for a few months. Holly offered to share her apartment with us - and we gratefully accepted.

Holly's pride and joy that summer was a baby grand piano that she was storing for a friend. Every morning, she would get up and, while still in her night clothes, would go over to the piano and start to play... and sing... joyfully, exuberantly!

I would usually be eating breakfast at the time, on my way to work. But Terry - who was a night-owl - would usually emerge from the bedroom, still half asleep: Holly, are you always this happy when you get up?!

She was definitely a morning person!

I thought of Holly when I read the following:

At the age of ninety-three, the cellist Pablo Casals explained how, for the past eighty years, he had started the day in the same manner. He went to the piano and played two preludes and fugues of Bach: "It is a sort of benediction on the house. But that is not its only meaning... It is rediscovery of the world in which I have a joy of being a part. It fills me with awareness of the wonder of life, with a feeling of the incredible marvel of being human."

How wonderful to have a morning ritual that fills us with JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment