Thursday, August 15, 2013

A New Way of Packing

Years ago I watched a flight attendant on TV demonstrate packing a suitcase by rolling clothing up instead of folding it, thereby eliminating creases.

Ever since then, when traveling, I have rolled up my clothes, layering several items together in each "jelly roll."

Packing for my last trip, I added another step to my system. I wanted to avoid packing clothing I might not wear...

I remembered a friend who "packaged" each day's clothing separately when preparing her children's things for camp. For a week at camp, each child would have seven separate "packets" of matching outfits in their suitcase. No thinking necessary: All the child had to do was choose a new pack each day...

Doing something similar, I rolled up three matching shirts with a pair of capris, added the same number of under garments, and put the set in a plastic bag. I calculated that for two weeks I would needed five such packets of capris and three matching tops. Add one light jacket for cool evenings and a raincoat. Plus two pairs of comfortable shoes, to change off.

My organizing worked! For the first time ever, I wore everything I took along...  with the exception of the raincoat. (There was a heatwave the whole time we were in England, and we didn't see any rain.) I guess there are some things you just can't plan!


No comments:

Post a Comment