Wednesday, August 28, 2013

DIY Camera Maintenance

Should I get my camera professionally cleaned? I asked Terry. I notice some dark marks on the lens - and the photographer in the camera store said the dust was inside the camera.

Terry did some online research - and discovered that finding dust inside the camera lens was a common problem with my Lumix. Simply turning the camera off - the lens moving inside the camera - drew dust in.

He showed me a You Tube clip on taking the camera apart to clean it. I quickly decided it was too complicated for me! But it did make me understand why camera shops charged over $100 to take the camera apart and clean it.

Another solution jumped out at me - from something I read somewhere: Try vacuuming the lens.

So I attached the round brush to the vacuum cleaner and turned it on. I placed it over the lens, then turned the camera on - so that the lens would come out. I did this three or four times...














Then I took a close-up of a white door.














It looked a lot cleaner than the picture I took prior to cleaning the camera. Not perfect, but a whole lot better!

(And a whole lot cheaper!)

No comments:

Post a Comment