Friday, April 6, 2012

Preparing For Gardening Season

I have a house full of plants, so one of the ways I prepare for outdoor gardening season is to trim back my indoor plants and root them in water.


















Then, when I want to prepare outdoor pots for the porch or the patio, I can add these cuttings to create a mix of greenery. When the growing season is over, I take cuttings again to root indoors.


















In my working days, I had large sunny classroom windows, so I used to take all my large outdoor pots of plants to school for the winter and bring them out again in late spring.


I don't have space to do that anymore, so I use the slips (cut branches) to start new small plants. The plants in the pot die a natural death when the weather turns cold and I "recycle" them in my compost heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment