Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chasing Butterflies... in April!


A few years ago a neighbor commented that she rarely saw butterflies anymore. I had to agree.

Then last year I read that butterflies thrive on milkweed... so I let the wild milkweed plants that sprouted up in our yard grow.














This year, I am already seeing butterflies... and it's only April! (The one above is resting on a tree stump.)














The snow fountain weeping cherry tree currently in bloom in our front yard always attracts dozens of bees.














This year it is attracting butterflies as well!















Dozens are fluttering around looking for nectar!














I've been trying to get photos - but they move so fast!

I wonder if this orange and black species (called the Red Admiral) will be the only ones we see this summer or if - like June bugs - they will have their season and disappear. Perhaps other species will join them throughout the summer.

I guess I'll have to wait and see!

A further note: It appears that these Red Admiral butterflies are being seen in many parts of Ontario these days, There is an online discussion about whether these Red Admirals were brought north earlier than usual due to warm winds blowing up from the southern USA or whether these, in fact, are among the butterflies (various species) that hibernate in the (mild) Niagara Falls region of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment