Saturday, April 14, 2012

Black Bottom Cupcakes

My daughter recently reminded me of a dessert I used to make when she lived at home: Black Bottom Cupcakes. (So of course I hunted out my old recipe and made them again!)

They are really a combination of chocolate cake and cheesecake. (Delicious!) Joan, our school secretary, introduced the staff to them when she made them for potluck lunches. They were so good we all wanted the recipe!


















This online recipe (on the All Recipes website) is exactly like the one Joan gave me (above) except that it calls for 1/3 cup of oil for the chocolate cake batter whereas hers recipe calls for 1/2 a cup. I made a few changes as well, replacing the vinegar with lemon juice, because I prefer the taste. I also added a dash of cinnamon to the chocolate cake batter.

Instructions: Mix up the chocolate cake recipe; then, in another bowl, mix a container of cream cheese with an egg and 1/3 of a cup of sugar (or less, to taste). Add chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture. The recipe I use calls for 1/2 a cup but the online recipe calls for a cup. (I throw in a generous handful or two.)














Spoon about 1/4 cup of the chocolate cake mixture into the bottom of a muffin tin lined with paper cups. Then add about 2 teaspoons of the cream cheese mixture on top.

Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.














They look great - and taste amazing!

2 comments:

  1. I made them for a dinner party and they weren't as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes they taste better the second day. Whenever I make a chocolate cake with baking soda plus vinegar or lemon juice, oil and water, I find they often taste better the next day. (I have several recipes that are almost the same: Wacky Cake, Crazy Chocolate Cake, Blue Monday Cake, and these Black Bottom Cupcakes.) One online recipe for the cupcakes said to use a chocolate cake mix plus the cream cheese, egg and chocolate chips (above). You might want to try that and see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete