Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lost the Wheat - DIDN'T Lose the Weight!

The current diet best-seller Wheat Belly presents an intriguing theory: namely, that wheat, especially genetically modified varieties, is the problem behind North America's weight gain woes. The book's subtitle - " Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health" - suggests that eliminating wheat from our diets will cause us to lose weight (and for type 2 diabetics like me, help correct high blood sugar levels).

Looking for a "quick fix" and a magic "key," I decided to give it a try... In fact, I started an online food journal to annotate my experiment.

But after a week of wheat-free eating, when there was absolutely no weight loss and my blood sugar levels did not take the nose-dive I was hoping for, I stopped.

So - back to square one - as they say. The real key (I guess) is to eat carbs in moderation (cutting back not just on wheat, but on all sugars and starches) and to walk at least 45 minutes a day, preferably a short walk after every meal. My doctor suggested this 7 years ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and it seems to work.

(I am disappointed! I was looking for a quick fix!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment