Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Knitting Trick

Whenever I knit socks, I knit both at the same time...














I don't do them on the same needles, as some people do... but on two sets of double pointed needles, knitting them stage by stage, first the leg part on one, then the leg part on the other; next the heel flap on one, then the heel flap on the other... (as in the picture above) And so on.

The problem with double-pointed needles is that it's easy to knock the stitches off the needle, especially when they are put aside while working on the second sock.

This problem is not a new one for knitters. Stitches often fall off when knitting is being transported - and there are solutions out there, like plastic tips...














... which often fall off when I use them! (Winding an elastic band tightly around each tip works better for me. )














But I discovered another trick that I have been using as I knit the socks pictured above. When I leave one sock to work on the other, I temporarily replace the double pointed knitting needles with needles a slightly larger size. (The right sock, which I am putting aside, now has slightly larger needles than the left one, which I am again beginning to work on. When I go back to working on it, I will again switch needles, putting the larger needles on the sock I am not working on.)

Larger needles practically guarantee that the knitting will not move.

I started doing this as I didn't have enough small double pointed needles. Then I discovered the second benefit: Stitches don't fall off!

No comments:

Post a Comment