Friday, April 22, 2011

Surprised (Again!) by God

One of the amazing things about being a Christian is the knowledge that God is in control... not only in the BIG picture of life... But also in the details.

One of these details (for me) has been a book brought to me by a friend: Benedict's Way. Her church group is using it as a study - and she thought I might be interested in reading it too.

It has been a wonderful "gift" - my friend's sharing of her book, and (I believe) God bringing this book into my life at this time.

The beauty of this book is its short, thought-provoking chapters on 30 diverse aspects of Christian living, from prayer, work and service, to conflict, friendship and joy.

As I focused daily on one simple aspect of Christian living, I have thought about issues I struggle with... and felt strengthened by the simple wisdom the book shared.

Timing is everything... so they say. Which is why this book has meant so much: I needed to think about these things at this time of wondering what I should be doing with my life. (Is it a co-incidence the book was brought to me in Lent, a traditional time for slowing down and reflecting on OUR FAITH?)

Have I been changed? I don't know... Challenged? YES!

Sometimes in life we need to (again) review the basics...

And it's exciting to know that, just as God brought this book to me now, there will other books - more ideas to ponder - along the way. God knows what I need and when I need it the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment