Friday, April 8, 2011

My Mother's Pain

March was a trying month for my 91-year-old mother. An arthritic knee was acting up - and painkillers seemed to have little effect.

Then anti-inflammatory medication caused one side of her face to swell up.

I'm taking so many pills, my mother fretted. They'll probably kill me.

On her second trip to the hospital emergency room, this time for upper leg pain she couldn't endure, X-rays revealed the problem was bursitis, a common inflammation - nothing more.

When she yelled out in pain during a blood test ("You're killing me!!"), it became apparent that what to most people would be a minor discomfort, was intolerable to her.

At that point, a geriatric nurse came over to talk to us.

We went into a quiet office, where the nurse asked my mother about her life, past and present. After their little chat, the two of them went for a "walk" around the hospital ward.

I want to see how you're doing on your walker, the nurse explained.

I sat waiting for them, feeling a sense of relief: Someone was trying to see beyond her symptoms.

Your mother is very anxious, the nurse commented when they returned. Has she been that way for long?

Ever since she moved here nine years ago, I replied... Especially if she doesn't sleep well at night... And she said that pain kept her awake all night.

I think she should be assessed and followed for a while in a geriatric day hospital, the nurse replied. She would come in twice a week. If her anxiety is a problem, or if it gets worse, a small amount of medication could perhaps help.

I'm also going to prescribe some physiotherapy and adjust her pain medication...

For the first time in a long while, I felt a sense of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment