Saturday, April 9, 2011

Puffed Wheat Squares - A Childhood Treat

When I noticed a bag of puffed wheat in the grocery store...














...I had a flashback to Puffed Wheat Squares, a favorite childhood treat. (I think they predate Rice Crispy Squares... At least, they did in my life.)

I looked online for a recipe and came across this one.

Here's what I did - it was surprisingly easy!

1. Before mixing the ingredients, I generously greased a large cake pan and I measured 8 cups of puffed wheat into my largest mixing bowl.

2. I measured the following ingredients into my largest (4-cup) measuring cup:
  • 1/3 cup of margarine
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 (generous) tablespoons cocoa
3. I microwaved them on high for 1 minute, then mixed them well with a wooden spoon.

4. I repeated this for 30 seconds twice, then for 20 seconds 3 times, mixing well after each time.

5. Then I quickly poured the hot, bubbly liquid over the puffed wheat squares, trying to mix and coat them all before the liquid hardened. Then I quickly poured the chocolate-covered puffed-wheat into the cake pan and pressed it down with the back of the spoon.

6. I let it cool for several hours before cutting it into squares.














The results were delicious... and they disappeared quickly!

Next time I would cook the liquid a little less, perhaps the 2 minutes suggested in the recipe (rather than 3 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment