Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Living Under "Rules"

My friend Janet has loaned me a book she is currently reading with a group that meets monthly to discuss the Rules of St. Benedict, a monk who lived 1500 years ago. His rules were a plan for harmonious monastic living.














As I read the book (Benedict's Way), it strikes me that, whether we are aware of them or not, every family or group of people living together has its own unwritten rules, developed over the course of time...

Our family rules include:
1. We remove our shoes before entering the house.
2. We share the cooking and the cleaning.
3. Sunday afternoons are for TV football for five months of the year.
4. I get up early - and have the house to myself. Terry watches TV till 1 am... After 9 pm the house is his...
5. No pets requiring daily care - as they would hamper travel plans.

What other unwritten rules have we created over the years? I wonder...

Perhaps Terry and I would benefit by re-evaluating them... Are we both happy with our "rules"...? Could they be improved upon?

No comments:

Post a Comment