Friday, December 3, 2010

Rhubarb... In November?

My rhubarb begins to grow in May... and by the end of July it has died down again... Which is a pity, since I really love rhubarb.

I thought that all rhubarb was like that - an early spring harvest.














But walking in my neighborhood last week - the last week in November - I was surprised (even shocked) to see... rhubarb growing. Did the plant think that after one snowfall (that disappeared after a few days) spring was about to arrive?

Before I had an opportunity to take a picture, snow fell again - and it too has since melted...

I'd like to think that this little rhubarb plant knows something that I don't: namely, that we are going to have a mild winter... mild enough for rhubarb!

Now, that's the kind of Canadian winter I would truly LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment