Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fig Preserve

I was recently given a gift of fig and black currant preserve from Madeleines Cafe in Toronto... (The official name is Madeleines, Cherry Pie and Ice Cream). And I guess the madeleine referred to isn't the owner, but the dessert.














The preserve was delicious... Just as I remember it from my last visit.














It brought back memories of this quaint cafe - with its china tea cups - the friendly owner/chef and the breakfast we had there!

I think that the owner said that the figs were from British Columbia... I didn't know they grew figs in Canada!

Delicious!

Thank you Natalie and Aaron for the gift and the memory it brought back!

2 comments:

  1. re: figs in BC. There are several places in southern (!!) BC where figs are grown - I didn't realize they were a commercial crop. Oliver/Osooyoos (sp?)is one, and even parts of the Fraser Valley. We had a fig tree in Abby for a few years until a very cold winter froze it down. Even then, it tried to come up again the following year. (We didn't know how to prepare it for winter - live and learn.) Now at our new place, we see that a neighbour has 4 trees in his yard. There are some kinds of fig trees that are hardy enough for our winters. Oliver etc. would likely be quite ideal, with all the sun they get all summer long. But enough to 'export' hmmm. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I always associated figs with California-type climates. I wonder if they can be grown in Ontario... Maybe the Niagara region, which produces a lot of fruit. All this has been an interesting discovery about figs.

    ReplyDelete