Saturday, December 25, 2010

Celebrate!

Two of the books I am currently reading have struck a similar note: a call to celebrate.














In her book, Knit Together, subtitled Discover God's Pattern for Your Life, author Debbie Macomber talks about the importance of having a mission statement and goals. She then encourages the celebration of every small success...

(I have been reading her book slowly, as I reflect on what my goal and mission can be at this stage of life..)

In another refreshing book, eat the cookie...buy the shoes, subtitled Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up, religious writer Joyce Meyer talks about her tendency to be serious. So, for many years she was reluctant to celebrate her birthday... Like many of us, she let the day slide by. But around the time she began writing this book, she realized that celebrating her birthday was a way of expressing thanks to God for His gift of life and provision over the years. So she celebrated, privately and with family and friends, for a week, giving herself permission to do as much or as little as she wanted... And in the end she felt refreshed by having given herself permission to relax and be happy...


















So, at this season of the year - and at this season of life - as I look at the Christmas tree and its many gifts - I am reminded that the true gifts are the family, friends and faith God has given me.

So I am thankful for Christmas and its tradition of giving gifts - because it reminds that everything I have - family, friends and faith - is a gift from God!

No comments:

Post a Comment