Saturday, August 7, 2010

Memories

Life is a mosaic of memories - some of which remain clear in our minds. Others we (inexplicably) forget... but others may remember. Sharing stories and memories generates... more stories and memories! (The joy of conversation...!)

Also the joy of blogging!

One of my cousins - who grew up near me - shared this memory in a recent email. I had completely forgotten the event, which dates back to my teen years, the years of piano and organ lessons.

Someone in our family had died... Here is her story:

When Gary died and I was home [from university] for the week, we were at your place one evening, and it was your pipe-organ lesson evening. You invited me to come along, which I, of course, did. I sat in the 'choir' near the organ while you had your lesson. When it was over, Dr. Beadle looked at me and crooked his finger in the 'come here' motion.

And you recall, Dr. Beadle was not one to be disobeyed!

He had me sit down at the organ and gave me a quick mini-lesson on the difference in technique from piano, handed me a hymn-book and told me to find a hymn I knew. He told me to ignore the pedals, just use the 2 manuals. He managed the stops, and with each verse he pulled out more. Finally, he sat down next to me and played the pedals, and the church was rocking with sound! I was transported! I’d never experienced anything like it in my life! Not before nor since, I might add...

Do you remember this at all? ...In any case, I have you to thank for taking me with you to your lesson...

Of course, the thanks really goes to the musician (Dr. Beadle) who shared his joy of playing the organ - by showing her the amazing sounds an organ can make!! (And letting her join him in making them!)

The essence of teaching: infectious joy!

Joy shared makes a lasting impression...

No comments:

Post a Comment