Thursday, August 12, 2010

Finding that Perfect Job...

I am always interested to discover what paths lead people to where they are... which may be why I often read biographies of accomplished people.

Recently a friend directed me to an interesting blog - written by a young French fashion illustrator working in New York City. The blog usually focuses on fashion - but in several posts, the illustrator shares her story of how she found her present career...

Her first post focused on her early (high school) job-hunt experience - where her mother urged [pushed?] her to try this and that... Reminded me a little of my own methods when my children were in high school and I wanted them to experience the world of work. But I never went as far as sending them off to teach surfboarding to middle-aged nudists...!

Her second post talks about her university internship - and how a crazy decision (to buy expensive boots for the interview) actually opened a door for her - that turned out to be an important career stepping stone. Perhaps the moral of this part of the story would be: Follow your instincts!

(Now I'm waiting in anticipation for the next installment of her story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment