Sunday, August 8, 2010

Blessing the Wheels










I read recently about a church in Calgary, Alberta, where, one Sunday in spring, the priest blesses the "wheels" - of bikes...














motorcycles, skateboards, and even (this year) the car of a new driver. Parishioners bring their "wheels" to church. The sermon is about driving safely. Then there is an opportunity for parishioners to add their stories and testimonies - about times when they experienced God's help in the "potholes" of life. And of course, the "wheels" are blessed and prayers are offered for the safety of all.

I think this is a wonderful idea! But I would go a step further. Here in Canada, not only should we be blessing summer "wheels" - and also "wheels" involved in icy, winter driving!














I admit that I do pray about my "wheels" a lot .Whenever we get a new car - and often when I drive on a busy highway - I pause to pray...
  • that nobody inside or outside the car will be injured,
  • that the car will never cause injury to anyone else - or to any other vehicle either.
Accidents happen quickly! And unintentionally! The car I was driving was once hit by a large projectile, a rock that flew from the other side of a four-lane highway. A large truck had run over it, sending it across the road with such force it dented the hood of my car. Fortunately, it bounced off - leaving me to wonder what would have happened if it had hit less than a second later. Would it have crashed through the driver's window, injuring me? I also hoped that some another vehicle wouldn't send it flying yet again. The driver of the truck that shot it in my direction probably didn't know it happened!

Recently we had to buy a new car. In the busyness of our summer, there has been no opportunity to "celebrate" our new purchase, thanking God for the car, and asking Him to bless it with safety... But the first time I drove it, I did pray my usual "car prayer" (above) - before driving off...

The car manual states it's very important not to speed for the first 2000 km (1200 miles) to avoid engine damage... so we have been driving our new car very slowly and carefully... (In fact, it irks Terry to see cars passing him for a change! The fact that he knows he won't get a speeding ticket is of some comfort...)

And the other day we stopped for ice cream along the highway, ate our treats (outside the car - so as not to dirty the new interior!) We got into the car, and Terry started to back very slowly out of our parking spot.

We had moved about a foot when we heard a slight bump. I looked at Terry and said: We've hit something. (Of course, he had immediately stopped.)

I opened the door, to check what we had hit - envisaging a glass bottle tossed aside by a careless person. Perhaps a rock.... When a small girl (perhaps 3 or 4) came around the side of the car... She was walking alone.

Did the car hit you? I asked. She nodded solemnly.

Where? She touched a spot several inches above her forehead.

Does it hurt? Again she nodded.

Where are your mommy and daddy?

My mommy's at home and my daddy's over there, she replied, pointing to a group of people talking on the other side of the parking lot.

Terry got out of the car to examine her head - there was no cut or sign of injury...She was talking coherently and had not been knocked over... Nor was she crying... (All good signs!)

Seeing his little girl talking to strangers, the father rushed over. We explained what had happened... and again checked her head. Then another passer-by came over to tell us that he had yelled to try to warn the child...

This young child, too short to be seen through the back window, had been walking alone in the parking lot... probably looking down... amid dozens of parked cars. Her father wasn't aware she had wandered off...

Accidents happen so quickly... so easily...

So as I drive on busy roads and highways, and walk through parking lots where drivers and /or pedestrians aren't always paying attention... I will continue to pray that God will bless my wheels and keep them from harming anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment