Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Coffee - GOOD for Me?!

Terry often leaves on my "reading chair" articles he thinks would benefit me. Often they concern the health hazards of chocolate or coffee - or any other indulgences I ENJOY!














But one recent article he left (by Dr. Gifford-Jones) had me laughing - not because it made a case for coffee perhaps being good for aging (the 1.64 cups the average American drinks daily having 1,299 mg of antioxidants...)

And also good for diabetics: " Coffee contains chlorogenic acid, an antioxidant that decreases the absorption of glucose from the blood. A cup of instant coffee also contains 59 micrograms of the trace element, boron, which reduces the amount of insulin required to maintain normal blood sugar levels."

I'm very happy to hear any claim that my favorite drink may be good for me!!














But I was particularly entertained by a 1657 ad for coffee quoted in the article. Newly imported to Britain at the time, coffee was being touted by importers as...

"A very wholesome drink that helpeth indigestion, quickeneth the spirits, maketh the heart lightsome, is good against eye sores, coughs, head-ache and the King's evil."

I'm not sure what eye sores or the King's evil are, but I totally agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment