Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Would you read it... again?

For me the ultimate test of a book is: Would I read it again?

My bookshelves are full of books I intend to read, books I have started to read, and books I have loved - and plan to re-read...














Here is the pile of books that I am currently reading... I often "nibble" at books - rather than sit down for a full meal. The only "re-read" here is Before You Call, I Will Answer - an unusual book on prayer by David A. Redding.

Most of the books I read these days are autobiographical rather than fiction. I have always been fascinated by interesting life stories of thoughtful people. By "thoughtful" I mean people who give their lives and the meaning of their lives some serious thought. For me, truth (well-written) is much more interesting than fiction. (Though some fiction is truth disguised.) So I enjoy autobiographical memoirs.

Some favorites that spring to mind are:
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
The Color of Water by James McBride
Dreams From My Father by Barak Obama
The Crosswicks Journals of Madeleine L'Engle, which include
  • A Circle of Quiet
  • The Summer of the Great-grandmother
  • The Irrational Season
  • Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage
Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
All books by James Herriot
All books by Catherine Marshall, especially Adventures in Prayer
All books by Laurie Beth Jones, especially Jesus in Blue Jeans
Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer by Catherine Doherty
My Russian Yesterdays
by Catherine Doherty


I also enjoy books that need to be slowly digested - as they have so much to teach. Two of my favorites are:
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey which I read in the '90s and plan to read again soon, and
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, which I read last year and I plan to re-read soon

I tend to read a lot about writing. Some favorites are
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
On Writing by Stephen King
Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

Oh yes, and the one novel I read in the past 6 months was written by a young Canadian woman living in the USA. It's called Water for Elephants (by Sara Gruen). I'm not sure I'd re-read it in its entirety, but if I ever thought of writing a novel, I'd study it - as it is very well written. At the end of a fascinating story comes a delightful surprise ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment