Wednesday, April 15, 2009

More Signs of Spring














Tulips are beginning to poke their leaves out of the soil. (I have to put rocks around the tulip bulbs to prevent squirrels from digging them up and eating them!)














Another sign of spring (to my surprise!) was a black and yellow butterfly that landed on a white mat that I had accidentally flipped onto the grass while I was shaking it. (You may have to click on the picture to see the butterfly clearly.)

I had once been told that butterflies were originally called "flutterbys" but discovered (online) that this is not true. My online source (Yahoo! Answers) mentions that they were called butterflies because they liked to land in milk... So maybe the whiteness of the mat attracted this one!














I need to get out and rake pine cones that have fallen from our large trees over the winter months. Every strong wind brings dozens of pine cones down. It's no wonder we have so many happy squirrels running around the yard. They find pine cones to nibble on, even in coldest weather.

I love these outdoor days - not too hot, not cool anymore (especially once you begin to rake!) My goal - to spend as much time outdoors as possible!

2 comments: