Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sometimes It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better!

We must all have maximum mess threshold levels. I thrive with "comfortable clutter" that my husband would rather not see. I enjoy having books, knitting and sewing around so that I don't have to waste time looking when I feel like reading, knitting or sewing.

I like it all in plain view... where some people would view it as messy!

So is is somewhat ironical that I - who am constantly struggling with a tight balance between "comfortable clutter" and out-of-control messiness (created by me!) - should suddenly find myself inundated with even more stuff, as I empty out my mother's apartment. She has moved into a room in a retirement residence, and does not want to deal with organizing much stuff - so my home has become a holding area for a lot of things that will eventually go to her, or to my kids in Toronto - or as far away as Texas. While we sort through who wants what, it's sitting in piles and boxes in the hallways, bedrooms and basement of my house!

Even I am getting fed up! Day by day, as I clean and organize (my stuff and hers), my house seems to be getting worse! When will it end?

It makes me think of a Jewish folk tale about a farmer who was unhappy about his small home - there wasn't enough room for everything and everyone. Seeking an answer to his dilemma, he went went to ask his rabbi for advice.

My house is too small, he told the rabbi. My six children, my wife and I live in a small one-room house. The children are noisy - it's always disorganized - there isn't enough room for us all. What can I do?

Do you have any animals on your farm? the rabbi asked him.

Yes, a cow, two ducks, and three chickens, he replied.

My advice to you is: Bring the chickens into the house to live with you, the rabbi told him.

The farmer followed his rabbi's advice and brought the chickens into the house. A few days later, he returned to the rabbi in a panic: Rather than make the house better, the chickens have made it worse, he told him. They run around, leaving feathers and a mess everywhere. It's much worse than before.

Then my advice now is: bring the ducks into the house, too, the rabbi replied.

The farmer again followed his rabbi's advice and brought the ducks into the house. A few days later he again went to see his rabbi: Oh sir, the house is even more noisy and disorganized now than before, he told him. Now the ducks are all running around too. You have to help me. I don't know what to do.

There is only one thing to do, the rabbi said. Bring your cow into the house, too.

I don''t know how this will help, the farmer replied, but I'll give it a try.

The next day he rushed back to the rabbi's house.

Sir, the cow is knocking everything over - the chickens and ducks are running around - the house is a disaster. Your idea isn't working. I don't know what to do.

Go home, the rabbi advised, and put the chickens, the ducks and the cow back into the barn. Then come back in a few days and tell me how everything is going.

The farmer hurried home and removed the animals. Then he and his family cleaned his house. A few days later he again saw the rabbi.

How is everything going? the rabbi asked.

Oh, everything is wonderful, the farmer replied. The house is clean and quiet again. Everything is just perfect.

At times I feel just like that poor farmer! But with no end - yet - in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment