Sunday, April 19, 2009

Anyone up for a contest?!!

What - you may wonder - is this ugly black pile?














Why dirty snow, of course!

All winter long, snow-plows have to clear the parking lot, so they pile it here beside the pavement, where it becomes a small mountain of snow. In time it gets dirty like this. And in time it also melts. How quickly it melts depends on the temperature, wind and rain.














Here you can see the pool of water formed by the melting snow.

Last year the pile was even larger - we had had record amounts of snowfall.














This year's pile is sort of U-shaped - it crosses over the walking / cycling path twice, which is quite annoying!

Last year, my husband and I looked at the larger pile of snow and predicted: It will still be there in July! But it wasn't... it disappeared in June.

So, my question is - How long do you think this snow pile will last?

So I propose a little contest! To win, you have to be closest to the date (that it completely disappears) without going past the date. I will post a picture of the pile taken on all the dates submitted. If you win, ... there is no prize, but you will be acknowledged - on this blog!

I will "tell the world" that you won. (Or at least everyone in the world who reads this blog!)

I've never done anything like this before, so I hope it works... So, how long do you think this little snow-mountain will last?

Now I'll let you see the pile from a few different angles!














From a distance (a few hundred meters or yards) across the parking lot... Sorry, I'm not much good at estimating distance! You can see the picture more clearly by clicking on it and enlarging it...














From a little closer...














And a bit closer...














Now you can see the two parts of the pile more closely - and the parking lot beside it.

Why don't I start the guessing by saying the all this snow will be gone by May 30? My husband has not visited the pile this year - and from the pictures guesses May 12...

If you want to participate, you can post your guess in the comments - or email your guess to marrnie@hotmail.com and I will transfer the information.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment