Thursday, April 30, 2009

Of Marzipan and Memories

I first encountered marzipan art on a trip to Europe. I remember standing outside a little shop, admiring the miniature pink pigs displayed in the window. They looked like plastic toys. But they weren't. Nearby a simple folded cardboard sign said: Marzipan. They were edible marzipan art!

How do they do that? I wondered. And how could you bear to eat those beautiful creations?

I recently encountered another example of marzipan art, thanks to my daughter, an avid blog-reader who passes on links to many amazing, artistic blogs. Here is one called Vegan Yum Yum. These "knit" cupcake decorations are edible marzipan art of another sort. If you want to see how it's done, play the short video clip at the end to watch the creator of these wonderfully artistic creations show Martha Stewart how to make them.

Now that is one thing I really want to try!

If you feel inspired as well, here is an online recipe for marzipan.

A picture of marzipan pigs can be found on Slashfood. I only now discovered - while looking for an online picture of a marzipan pig - that they are considered symbols of good luck in many parts of Europe, so people would buy or make them for a New Year's celebration - or any other celebration, I suppose, where you wanted to wish someone "good luck"!

No comments:

Post a Comment