Thursday, April 2, 2009

Little Things that Make a Difference

What should I do today? There is so much I could do - clean the house, sort through papers that have piled up on my desk, go through boxes of hastily packed items that I've brought over from my mothers vacant apartment...

There is no way I can do it all.

Suddenly a thought pops into my mind: Aim for little things that make a difference.

What would make a difference? Well, to start with, making the bed - and cleaning the bathroom sink...


Cleaning the sink always makes the house feel tidy. (I don't usually see how awful it is until I check it before someone visits! As my mother used to say: Our own dirt is always cleaner than somebody else's!)

Then there is the front entry that always needs to be vacuumed - which is why I so often ignore it. Who wants to vacuum every day?! But if it makes a difference to Terry's mood when he walks into the house, then it's important. Maybe it will make a difference.

I remembered another thing that makes a difference - cooking. Once when my older son was in his teens, he walked in from his friend Mike's house down the street with a handful of homemade chocolate chip cookies. They were so fresh I could still smell them.

Where did you get those? I asked him.

Audrey - [Mike's mom] - made them, he replied. Their house smells like a house is supposed to smell!

Mmmm - maybe some cooking or baking would make a difference too!

No comments:

Post a Comment