Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rhubarb Crisp

Rhubarb time is almost here again. Rhubarb - the first fruit of the year's harvest - is usually ready to be picked in late May or June. Today I noticed it was beginning to sprout...














Once it starts, it moves quickly! Yesterday there were no sprouts visible.

Just the other day I was going through my freezer, looking for frozen fruit I may have tucked away last summer. I came across a container of frozen rhubarb... and some frozen strawberries from last summer's harvest...














I decided to make rhubarb crisp. I keep a container of crumb topping in my fridge - so that fruit crisp is never a lot of extra work.














I see the orange container is almost empty. When I make my next batch, I should write down what I put into my crisp topping and share it. I never make it exactly the same way twice!

Rather than use the yummy strawberries in the crisp, I added half a cup of freezer strawberry jam. No need to add sugar to the rhubarb now.

I warmed the fruit in the microwave, sprinkled the crumb topping over it all - and baked it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) for 45 minutes in a conventional oven ... till it looked brown on top and smelled wonderful.

Here it is - my fresh, warm rhubarb-strawberry crisp...


















It probably won't last long!

No comments:

Post a Comment